This soup is healthy and very tasty.
- 1 cup yellow split peas – soaked in cold water for 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 finely chopped medium red onions
- 5 large diced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or red hot pepper flakes
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro leaves
- (Salt to taste)
- Cook the split peas in 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until peas are tender – aprox. 45 minutes to 1 hour. Whisk the split peas until they are emulsified. It should look like porridge. Keep warm over very low heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a cast iron pot over medium heat. Cook the chicken breast and set it aside once it is done. Once it has cooled cut it into cubes. You can also choose to bbq the chicken – whatever works!
- In the same pot as the chicken – turn the heat to hot and add the cumin seeds (Add a splash of oil if the pan is dry). The seeds will roast and sputter. After the seeds have stopped sputtering, add the onion and saute over medium heat until they start to brown. Then add the garlic and saute until most of the onion has turned brown (aprox 5 minutes).
- Add the curry powder and cayenne into the pot (stir 1 min)
- Add the tomatoes
- Add the chicken stock
- Put the lentils that were set aside earlier into the pot with the onion, garlic and spices
- Let the soup simmer for a few minutes on low
- Right before serving take the pot off the heat and stir in the cilantro
- Taste and add more salt or spices if necessary.
- Serve hot.