This soup is healthy and very tasty. Serves 4 1 cup yellow split peas – soaked in cold water for 1 hour 1 tablespoon canola oil 1 boneless skinless chicken breast 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds 1-2 finely chopped medium red … Continue reading
Our favorite sausage recipe so far. Adpated from Emeril Lagasse. 3 pounds ground pork butt 1 tablespoons garlic powder 1 heaping tablespoon paprika 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted fennel seeds 1/2 teaspoon ground anise 1 tablespoon salt 1 tablespoon ground black … Continue reading
- 3-4 lb pork shoulder/picnic shoulder
- Spice rub or just season lightly with salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 4-5 small onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small can (14 oz) San Marzano tomatoes or good quality tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp jerk sauce
(I like to serve the pulled pork on fresh buns with homemade pickle slices and coleslaw)
- Cut the large fat cap off the pork
- Sprinkle pork with the spice rub or/ salt and pepper. Heat cast iron pan to medium-high heat with the oil
- Brown pork all over.
- Transfer the pork to smoker on low heat and smoke for half hour.
- Add onions to the cast iron pan and fry until brown 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, coriander and bay leaves, tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and jerk sauce to the cast iron pan scraping up any brown bits from bottom.
- Put sauce mixture and pork into the slow cooker and turn it on low – aprox. 8 hours
- Using a fork – remove the bone
- Shred the meat
This is an excellent spice rub for chicken and pork. 2 tablespoons paprika 2 tbsp salt 2 tbsp garlic powder 1 tbsp onion powder 1 tbsp chili powder 1 tbsp black pepper 1 tbsp dried oregano 1 tbsp dried thyme
Great Deal! Loblaws and Hartmans has live market lobsters for the low price of $5.99 lb /13.21/kg. This is savings of over $5 lb. They weight 1 – 1.5 lbs each. How to Cook a live Lobster: Bring 2 litres … Continue reading
We had this memorable meal at a restaurant in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia. The intense heat compliments the flavour of the fish by lightly charring the surface. To avoid overcooking, remove the fish from the pan just as the last … Continue reading
Ingredients – Serves 2 big portions Potato Wedges 2 big baking potatoes cut into thick wedges 3 tbs olive oil or canola oil 2 chopped garlic cloves 1/2 tsp paprika Step 1: Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Step 2: … Continue reading