- 3-4 lb pork shoulder/picnic shoulder
- Spice rub or just season lightly with salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 4-5 small onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small can (14 oz) San Marzano tomatoes or good quality tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp jerk sauce
(I like to serve the pulled pork on fresh buns with homemade pickle slices and coleslaw)
- Cut the large fat cap off the pork
- Sprinkle pork with the spice rub or/ salt and pepper. Heat cast iron pan to medium-high heat with the oil
- Brown pork all over.
- Transfer the pork to smoker on low heat and smoke for half hour.
- Add onions to the cast iron pan and fry until brown 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, coriander and bay leaves, tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and jerk sauce to the cast iron pan scraping up any brown bits from bottom.
- Put sauce mixture and pork into the slow cooker and turn it on low – aprox. 8 hours
- Using a fork – remove the bone
- Shred the meat